Tanian and a story about Arkat's Father

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 02:22:05 +1200

Jean Durupt:

>Peter Metcalfe says that the sea of fire did not grow.

I actually said it did not expand to cover the entire ocean during the time it was burning which is something slightly different.

>It fell into Magasta's whirlpool. The Jrustreli had to change
>Tanian's nature when the first fireberg came back into the world
>in 819.

Actually they didn't give a shit about the first one. It burnt one of the Eastern Isles out of existance but that was it. It was the second one, Umaliath that they were concerned about for it threatened to strike Brithos (which is rather curious timing in itself).

>I remember that the water flows into Tanian's grotto, if I am right
>it is the reason why puzzle canal is not yet aflame.

>I'd say that if someone summons Tanian after his nature changed, he
>can only create a fireberg.

hmm. Labyrgon created the Puzzle Canal during the height of the EWF. However Pavis was founded after the Sea of Flame dissappeared and so it looks like Tanian's grotto was created after the God-Learners had 'proven' that Tanian was the God of Water Controlling Fire.

It seems to me that the 'proof' was a fictitious one constructed and powered with numerous sacrifices to ensure that Tanian's nature would be changed within the Sea of Flame (remeber the firebergs weren't snuffed out) so that it would be extinguished. After the Sea of Flame ceased to exist, the God Learners ceased their wonderworking and the universe returned to normal wrt Tanian [think of it as being akin to putting out a burning oil well with explosives]. Thus summoning Tanian can be done today if one can find out how to do it.

Nick Effingham:

>And yes, I now realize it all, Arkat was Saranla's son! It all comes
>together now! Arkat sought to destroy that very same thing that destroyed
>his mother; subtle chaos.

Perhaps. His mother was a Brithini Maiden according to Western Records who call his father a Barbarian Warrior.

HOW HUMAKT CAME TO BRITHOS[1] Humakt was a famous Warrior in the Days before the coming of the Ice. He was previously a Vustrian King called Umath but after he slew Eneral, everybody called him Humakt which means 'murderer' [2].

His own people desposed him for numerous crimes including the bribery of plantiffs with cattle so that they would drop their suit and the Wicked Murder of Ehilm who sought to bring him to Justice for previous outrages.

He only had his Sword which Could Not Be Broken which he had stolen with the aid of Vivamort from the Stygian Vault of Ehilm. Because it was an Accursed Weapon, nobody demanded the return of the sword. Humakt was so poor that he was forced to occupy an abandoned homestead. Because the land was so barren, he put outside his hovel a sign which read 'will kill for food'. It became known as Murderer's Stead.

Because the Vustrians resisted attempts by the others to put them in their rightful station [3], Humakt was often called upon. Before long, he had a horde of butchers [4] who slavishly imitated his brutalities and even an ugly woman by the name of Bemura [5] who was willing to sleep with him for money.

Despite Humakt's crimes, Bemura bore him a son. It was a difficult birth for none of the midwives would come. Despite this the child survived and Humakt thought to present him with gifts.

'The first gift' Humakt said, 'is My Household' and all the killers shouted with glee. For the second gift, Humakt drew the Sword that Would Not Be Broken and said 'My Sword'. His thugs howled their appreciation.

The third gift caused Humakt some problem. He had already given away everything he had with the first two gifts and so he racked his brains for a third gift. Then Humakt looked up and said 'My Name'. His bandits were quiet. And so whoever had been the Thane of Murderer's Stead was always called Humakt.

The Line of the Thanes of Murderer's Stead survived the Ice Age despite the loss of the Unbreakable Sword and finding it again [6].

The Last Thane marched with his household for the Vustrians and their allies at the Battle of Zebrawood. But the enemy were stronger and the Vustrian Host was shattered in battle. Humakt and his murderers fled the field and hid in the woods.

But the Enemy [7] found them for the First Sword had been coated with so much blood during the battle that it dripped a red trail for them to follow. They surrounded the woods and yelled in a loud voice to give themselves up. Many did so, but they were slain. Humakt refused to do so for he knew that the enemy would kill him.

The Enemy then set the woods on fire. The rest of his men rushed out and were killed by the hail of bowshot. Humakt knew better for he went to the centre of the woods and plunged the Unbreakable Sword into the Earth. The Earth died and the Trees withered away to create a wide clearing. Humakt then remained in the clearing while the fire raged about him. The heat was so fierce that he drank the rest of the blood on the Sword that No Man Can Break to quench his thirst.

When the fire abated, the Enemy left for they were satisfied that Humakt was dead because not even a God could have survived the blaze and left. Humakt then left the razed forest and made his way back to Murderer's Stead. He found that the Enemy had already sacked it. Since his household was either dead or enslaved, Humakt considered himself free. He threw his sword up in the air and when it landed, the blade pointed westward. Humakt vowed to pursue this direction to the edge of Acos.

And so Humakt crossed the Rockwoods to reach the City of Brass. There, he worked as a Street Judge for many a year. The Brithini were so pleased by his service that they rewarded him with a Boarding Pass upon the next Waertagi Ship. And that is how Humakt came to Brithos.

[The next Canto is a turgid romance of how Humakt on Brithos falls in love with a Maiden. After learning mastering the finer social graces, Humakt manages to awaken the Maiden from the stullifying Logic of Zzabur and fill her heart with Love. Humakt then sleeps with her. Upon discovering that she is pregnant, her father drives her out of his house and then seeks Humakt for retribution for her future death. After a epic combat, the father is killed (but later brought back to life by Zzabur) but Humakt is mortally wounded. Humakt manages to stagger to the Elfwoods where his love is and gives her the Adamant Sword for his future son. Humakt then expires dramatically in her arms].

[1] This is part of the Prose Version of the Romance of Ralios, a

     Tanisorean Epic about various notables in Ralios.  Its bias
     is noticable but it is the best source about some historical
     figures it treats.
[2]  The change in name is spurious.  Humakt was in fact known
     as Humath both before and after he slew Eneral.
[3]  An old tradition says that the Sons of Eneral drew straws
     to see which Caste they would become.  Vustr was chosen to
     be the peasant and so he ran off into the hills.  The exact
     caste of the other three brothers varies from place to place.
[4]  A Sacred Brotherhood is remembered in other sources.
[5] Lit. 'Cow'
[6] 'finding it again' is held to be a bad thing for the weapon is

     cursed.
[7] 'Enemy' World Council Forces.