facets of Truth

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 12:09:05 -0500

Mike Cule to Martin King:

> I'm certain that Arkat had a core of passion about *something*. What we
> are disagreeing about seems to be what. You are suggesting (if I've got
> you right) that like an actor (hem, hem) Arkat was able to convince
> himself of the truth of the role he was playing at the time, while being
> aware that it was only a role.

        Wellll, being Illuminated, Arkat had a 'broader' view of the world than most of the people around him. He realized that the world is not accurately portrayed by the myths of any one people. The differing peoples he dealt with each had a good, solid, self-consistent world-view. _But_, each world view had gaps in it which weren't explained, but where explained in other world-views! (The other world-views had different gaps in them.) What Arkat realized is that each world-view was like a facet of a gem. What he wanted was a true understanding of the gem. Seeking this truth, and believing  in the 'gem', he pursued his efforts to view the individual facets. When he had mastered a facet/world-view, and it had nothing new to offer him in the way of knowledge/power, he shifted to a new facet! His belief in the underlying 'gem' never varied, just the method of appraoch. This is evident from the fact that he found himself coming back to the same places on the HeroPlane via different rituals; just from different angles.

Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanifal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #630