Re: Morocanth

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 18:56:24 -0500

> I agree that the human tribes will have a great dislike of them,
>but IMG the tribes will treat them only a little worse than they
>would any other tribe of Prax.

        As "a little worse" is subject to GM interpretation, I can only say that this is all I've ever argued for. My theory has always been that the Morocanth are hated and feared by other Praxians more than any other "true Waha" tribe. It is true that the nature of this dislike differs only in degree from that held for the other tribes. However, I believe that a typical Praxian, if asked to rank the various inhabitants of Prax according to how well he liked them, would do so as follows:

LIKES: own tribe
HOLDS IN CONTEMPT: inhabitants of Pavis, Lunars, Oasis Folk DISLIKES: most other tribes, including Rhino, Bolo Lizard, Agimori, etc. DETESTS: Morocanth, Baboons, Basmoli, Unicorn Women, Pol-Joni, Pavis Survivors,
KILL OR BE KILLED: Cannibal Cult, Gagarth, Broos, Pent Nomads

> It was also implied that morokanth would eat sentient humans. I
>would dispute this, this would be in direct violation of the
>covenant and I believe that they go out of their way to avoid this.

        I unequivocally deny this. It is obvious to me that Morocanth, at best, would be rather callous and haphazard about anthropophagy. I _do_ agree that hunting or capturing humans with the express intent of eating them is considered sinful by morocanth Waha and Eiritha leaders, though perhaps no more than a peccadillo, and this is rarely, if ever done. But humans killed in the course of other activities are, I believe, fair game. Their corpses lack life - -- they differ in no way from the corpses of herdmen, and I can't conceive that the Morocanth would distinguish between the two.

        In addition to the food value, I think Morocanth sometimes eat slaves as a disciplinary lesson to other slaves.

Nick
>Evil morokanth might eat sentient humans. So too would the Cannibal
>Cult, or bad-ass Gagarthi bandits, or Ogres, or just about any
>starving denizens of Prax, likely including other Animal Nomad.
>tribes

        While any starving human might eat another human, I think that this propensity is as rare in Prax as on Earth. Though the Cannibal Cult eats humans, it is as part of a great ritual, not a regular article of diet. A particularly bad Gagarthi or Storm Bull is likelier to drink a cup of his victim's blood, or eat his heart than to actually eat flesh -- and I rather suspect this would only be done in the case of a hated enemy, or to terrify an onlooker. I suspect that an Animal Nomad who ate human flesh under duress would be considered in rather the same light as someone who did so in modern society. Morocanth and ogres eat human flesh out of choice, of course, which is yet another reason for other humans to refrain from this -- a mark distinguishing man from not-man.