Re: Yelmalio & Elves

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 19:05:25 -0500

Nick
>I particularly doubt that the remarkably un-elvish Cult of
Yelmalio >(Sun Dome Temple) owes anything to elves, although we know they have >a reputation for being "elf-friends". The Aldryami cult, whatever we >call it, isn't going to be a cult of uptight repressed phalangites, >is it now?

        My own views on Yelmalio are sadly aberrant, but I'll just suggest that perhaps one reason for the weirdness of Yelmalio is that it _was_ originally a nonhuman cult, and in its conversion to humanity, has not yet lost all traces of its origin.

        In general, non-human religions are impossible (or nearly so) for humans to join and be good members of. This is true not only for psychological reasons, but even physical ones. Sure a human who joins Kyger Litor (for instance) "becomes" a troll, but even so, "Eat a relative every High Holy Day" is tough to fulfill.

Sandy P.