minor matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:18:49 +1200

D M McNamara:

>Was [Rurik] a real character that was run in an ancient
>runequest game, and if so, what happened to him?

Slain by a trollkin with a pointy stick. How the mighty hath fallen.

Simon Phipps:

>In my opinion, the Gods Wall makes no mention of Yem's Queen
>Ernalda and her kin, since she left Yelm.

>If Yelmalio were Ernalda's son, he would also not be mentioned.

This is *bad* reasoning. It's like saying that Hesiod knows no record of Zeus being married to Isis because she left him for Osiris. You are assuming that myths which are tied to localities are *universally* true across Glorantha.

If Ernalda was married to Yelm and left him for some upstart barbarian, surely we would see a 'divorce' myth or a 'kidnap' myth in Dara Happan Literature rather than the complete ignorance found in Pletonius's Writings? If his son remained faithful to Yelm despite the sad case of his mother, then wouldn't he have been *adopted* by some other goddess to give him politically correct credentials?

The lack of any such thing leads me to conclude that Yelmalio and Ernalda were not known by Yelm of Yuthubars during his lifetime and I see no reason to make them so.

>Is Orlanth several gods fused, or Yelm? I think not. How
>about Kyger Litor - is she Kyger Litor and Karrg?

Kyger Litor is actually eight or nine ancestors (including Karrg) fused into a cult (the current writeup does not present this aspect clearly, tis true). Orlanth has been argued in the past to be a fusion of a Culture Hero cult (ie Clan Chieftains) and generic storm worship (ie the Godis).

>The cult of Caladra and Aurelion has a single priesthood, yet is a
>fusion cult.

You've slipped up here, the Priesthood is shared between *two* people.