Argrath

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:18:19 +1200

Nick Effingham:

[Somebody mentioned that Argrath destroyed the Gods]

>Arrrgghhh!!! When did he do this, I've seen it mentioned by Greg
>in some Seminar transcripts but I can't find it anywhere in KoS
>(I take it that it's in there somehwere, hiding from me; damned
>Boggles!).

p232 at the end of 'Argrath and the Devil' albeit in a different hand:

'And he said "There is only one secret now, and that is what we have done. The world will remain as it is now, without interference from any god or goddess. Now it is a free world, of humankind, for humankind, and ruled by humankind."'

Personally I suspect this last paragraph was added by a scribe to defend Argrath against charges that he unwittingly destroyed the Gods in his crusade against the Lunar Empire.

>Isn't Argrath killing gods a supremley *bad* thing?

It really depends on what you mean by gods. They can do magic in Harshax's era so I'd guess they were liberated from the Gods telling them how to live.

>How did he do it? Isn't this merely proof that he's a new
>incarnation of Shargash and therefore a new incarnation of Arkat?

It seems like a typical Orlanthi HQ to me so I don't think Shargash or Arkat had anything to do with it.