Plentonian Complete Ignorance

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 22:30 MET DST

Peter Metcalfe argues with
>Simon Phipps:

>>In my opinion, the Gods Wall makes no mention of Yem's Queen
>>Ernalda and her kin, since she left Yelm.

>>If Yelmalio were Ernalda's son, he would also not be mentioned.
[good points of Peter on universality of myths deleted]

>If Ernalda was married to Yelm and left him for some upstart
>barbarian, surely we would see a 'divorce' myth or a 'kidnap'
>myth in Dara Happan Literature rather than the complete
>ignorance found in Pletonius's Writings?

Actually, Plentonius has a master degree in Complete Ignorance. It seems to have been fairly normal standard for Dara Happan full citizens to have multiple sub-wives, or "personal servants", at their progenitive disposal. Like MOB's claims that the Yelmalians must have a real problem with Sun Lords wearing drag because it is explicitely forbidden, I think that the "marriage contest" described in GRoY can be used as a list of concubines. Galgarenge's claim for King Griffon has been accepted as true by most later authorities, and only DHan legalism could let Brightface's denial remain Truthful.

>If his son remained
>faithful to Yelm despite the sad case of his mother, then
>wouldn't he have been *adopted* by some other goddess to give
>him politically correct credentials?

Why? If he was in his majority, why should he require any female to receive credentials?

IMG Brightface has fathered numerous bastard sons (by whatever means, sexual intercourse being certainly masked as something innnocent, or perhaps even by some means of artificial pollination), and the array of legitimate sons of Yelm mustered by Plentonius looks like an adoption list: Shargash of Alkoth; Jernotia/us from Jernalf aka Verithurus(a) from Mernita (the moon hermaphrodite?); (Ghe)Veng(us) from Kestinliddi/Rinliddi; Buserian bull-slayer from the upper Arkos Valley, later the first priest; Deumalos, Falsoretus and Derdurnus, all assigned to neighbouring regions or cities of Raibanth. I doubt there were many family link myths from Brightface to any of these in their earliest myths.

Nor are there in Orlanth's Thunder Brothers, as Martin Crim has already pointed out. That array of "sons" of Orlanth has been collected from formerly equal tribal deities, IMO, and includes the less well known migratory leaders like Erland from Saird or Odayla from Very Old Tarsh. See below.

>The lack of any such thing leads me to conclude that Yelmalio
>and Ernalda were not known by Yelm of Yuthubars during his
>lifetime and I see no reason to make them so.

Yelm of Yuthubars? During his Lifetime? Oh, you mean Murharzarm Brightface, city-god-king of Raibanth's father community? (I.e. the temple hill next door, sporting the greater, likely also older, ziggurat made of unbaked clay bricks washed away by Nestendos?)

>>Is Orlanth several gods fused, or Yelm? [...]

Yes, in both cases, IMG. At least when viewed in the way of individualized deities performing similar functions among various tribes.

If I understand the Pelorian way of looking at things correctly (that's a big IF, really), they don't look that much at the individuality of their deities, but at their masks. Thus, we get Grandfather Clay =? ViSaruDaran =? ViDediDaran =? Turos =? DHan Lodril =? <name any other spear/mountain/shaper deity>. Which might also have furthered an identification of Pelandan Daxdarius with Arkat's (and Maklaman's?) cult of Humakt by the time of Four Arrows of Light.

>Orlanth has been argued in the past to
>be a fusion of a Culture Hero cult (ie Clan Chieftains) and generic
>storm worship (ie the Godis).

Check out David Dunham's Glorantha homepage, History of Orlanth, for some of my _less_ heretic ideas:

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/storm_history.html

(I hope I got that right. If not, check Loren's RQ etc. homepage, it's just two links away from there.)