Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #633

From: Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:34:02 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996 SimonPhipp_at_aol.com wrote :

> Subject: Morokanth and human flesh

> Don't forget that when someone undergoes the Fix INT spell they physically
> change, gaining the physiology of a Herd Man - it is not just their mind that
> changes, they become food. Similarly, when a herd creature is awakened, they
> gain the ability to eat flesh, so an awakened bison or high llama can quite
> happily eat a cooked sable, but could not survive on grass.

Yep, Herd men are Ruminating [Or Runeimating ;-)] animals, and awakened Bison can eat an aweful lot of steaks, so really we (the tribes) shouldn't awaken to many cause they'll eat everything!

> In my opinion, Morokanth are full members of the Covenant and will not, on
> the whole, eat human flesh. Obviously, deranged individuals may, but that
> would make them outcasts. There is no reason to suppose that they are no
> worse Waha cultists than any other Great Tribe.

Apostates are hunted down to have their INT fixed and then eaten! The Cannibal cult also attracts many apostate tribes folk, so people get to eat some of the cannibals with the Fix INT spell. The plains version of Poetic Justice.

> However, this begs the question of what about the other peoples of Prax?
> Rhino, Zebra and Bolo Lizard Riders are actually part of the Covenant, so
> there is no problem there. However, Ostrich riders, unicron riders, Sun
> Domers and Lunars are not, so are they People or Food? If they are still
> people, then they cannot be eaten, if food then they can. I personally
> believe that these are all people, since they can be affected by the Fix INT
> spell.

Ah-ha! But the Fix INT spell only works on those participating in the great comprimise, the Great Tribes of Waha. IMG it does NOT work on anyone but the Tribes themselves, for other humans are not part of the covenant! In this way the power of the spell is limited, and it helps explain why the priests don't fix the INT of tribal ememies, because it weakens the tribes of Waha, and they need to be strong to fight off all te Not-Like-Us out there, like Lunars and Zebrafolk.

> By the way, other species, such as trolls, newtlings, elves and dragonewts
> are not People as they did not take part in the Survival Covenant, so they
> can be eaten at will by any tribe in Prax. This idea of not eating sentient
> creatures applies to very few civilisations - most people do not view the
> Elder Races as people, for instance.

I dare say the Uz and Dragonewts would have something to say about that. The Aldryami have an abhorent practice of 'Mulching' dead comrades! Eeughh! The Uz have an abhorent practice of 'Munching' everything! ;-) IMG I don't encourage to much eating of other races and stuff, or all hell-chaos could break loose... but then againt what about Hero's eating foes for magic powers?!

Enough for now.

Make mine Morokanth.

Peter Tracy

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #636