Death of the Gods.

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:11:08 GMT

Jim Chapin remarks:

> But note that all the Gods were not killed in the KOS episode (it seems to
> have been an Orlanthi "all!") and there seems to be nothing in Glorantha
> to prevent the apotheosis of many characters into Gods to fill the
> "empty" slots. That seems to have been the case with Argrath, who became
> the new Orlanth! A nice opportunity for fourth age Hero questers -- to
> become the new God of XXXX -- which is obviously why writing was rediscovered
> among other things.

This seems the moment to bring up something that has been worrying me since I read KoS: Just who is Harshax?

Or rather who are Harshax, since there seems to be a dynasty of them.

And was the Hero Wars deliberately for their benefit?

The reason I ask is that for me the creepiest bit of KoS is not when Argrath destroys the Gods but in the introduction when Harshax says:

"We could not get rid of writing either, but now it is ours."

Which implies that the Illiteracy Plauge and the destruction of Gloranthan civilisation was somebody's deliberate act.

Which implies that in the Fourth Age one of the Secret Conspiracies of Glorantha has finally triumphed.... I think in the Fourth Age the Bad Guys Won.

Actor and Genius.
AKA Theophilus, Prince-Archbishop of the Far Isles (Arms: Purpure, an open book proper, without clasps. On the dexter page the Greek letter Alpha or. On the sinister page the letter Omega of the same. Motto: nulla spes sit in resistendo.)
Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better living through pan-medieval anachronisms.