Where did the voices go?

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:05:41 +0100 (BST)

> In the Fourth Age I think that there are underlying corruptions about
> to spring forth and devour Glorantha unless what Argrath did was in fact to
> slay all the gods on Purpose, which would mean that he'd most likely have
> some way to stop the HeroPlane unravelling and signalling the end of the
> Cosmos.

Alternatively the story of Argrath and the Devil is just an Orlanthi myth explaining the origins of consciousness and the breakdown of the bicameral mind.

Or to put it in Gloranthan terms, a present day (1625) Orlanthi constantly hears the voices of his gods telling them what to do at every turn. That is why they always attribute their successes to the gods (G:CotH III.) Some people don't hear these reassuring voices in their heads. These weirdoes can break any cult stricture they damn well please because they won't suffer the voices' reprisals. They are called Illuminates and their minds function in more or less the same manner as C20th people.

If the average Pelorian circa 1625 is bicameral and illumination=full consci ousness then it's blindingly obvious why 4th Age Heortlanders think that the gods are dead. The Lunar program of illumination escalated out of control until everyone in Central Genertela was fully conscious. In consequence nobody could hear the gods voices anymore, it's not difficult to conclude that this must be because they are dead.

Of course the Kralori (Metsyla) and Malkioni (Arkat) have long since achieved mass illumination so the death of the gods is hardly synonomous with the end of religion or myth.