idle ramblings

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 15:02:52 +1200

Sandy Petersen:

> It's not inherently any more ridiculous than Hitler signing
>the Non-Aggression pact with Soviet Russia at a time when
>Communists were sent to concentration camps in Germany and
>pro-fascists purged in Russia.

Circumstances were considerably more bizarre than Sandy paints here on the Russian Side. For instance, some German Communists in the Gulag (Stalin didn't like them) were sent over to the Germans whereas the Gulag commanders were forbidden to call the polticial prisioners 'Fascists'(!) This rule wasn't revoked until 1941 when it became politically untenable to say the least.

IMO (bringing it on to a Gloranthan Level) insanity like this is bound to exist within the Lunar Redland camps. Why? Look at this quote by Alexander Solzhenitsyn on his experiences in the Gulag:

'Gradually it was disclosed to me that the line seperating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties -- but right through every human heart -- and all human hearts'

Now substitute species, creeds and gods in the above statement. Recognize the doctrine? Yes, Solzhenitsyn has become an illuminate! The camps are designed to illuminate/re-educate the unrepenitent reprobate before he or she dies through hard work and insane camp administration.

John Brown:

NE>> If Argrath kills all the gods (circa 1725 ST),
>>then the Cosmos doesn't collapse, but the HeroPlane does.

>OK everybody, there is a FUNDAMENTAL flaw with Argrath Killing all the gods.
>Argrath completes the Lightbringer's Quest around 1677 (pgs 270-271 KoS). In
>the Lightbringer's Quest, the Orlanthi figure confronts the Devil near the
>end before the journey Home. This is when the events described in Argrath and
>the Devil would have occurred and there fore this is when the Gods should
>have been killed.

Ah, but Argrath does not fight the Devil _then_ in the Saga does he? He instead goes from there into the Lunar Hell to rescue Sheng Seleris. One could argue that his failure to confront the Devil ('D'oh! [smacks forehead] I forgot!') on his Lightbringers Quest allowed the Devil to escape to the surface world. The LBQ is very flexible - we have three different myths of how to cross the Ocean in KoS alone.

IMO 'Argrath and the Devil' took place after his fight with the Monster Empire but before he was apotheosized. Everybody forgot it like they did with the Sunstop (cf the Essay 'Forgetting Things' in KoS).