Killing the Cosmos/Yelmalio

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 11:18:16 +0100

>(1) Does anyone else thing that Sheng Seleris actually became the Red
>Emporer - stealing all his support (worship) just as he did with part of
>it during thier first fight?

 Yeah, he probabley did. Greg said that the Red Emperor is connected to a council of people on the Red Moon. If Sheng kills this council and replaces them with his own worshippers HE can become the Red Emperor. Of course, the Red GOddess may, or may not, have other ideas. In the Monster Empire, this council is replaced by evil and/or chaotic beings to make a new "Black" Emperor.

John Brown said:

>If they [the gods] are dead, they cannot
>help the folks of 2200 S.T. Glorantha against the Devil. However, if they are
>indeed alive and forgotten or cut-off or whatever, it may be possible to
>somehow bring the gods back in touch with the Gloranthans (who are about to
>get their butts kicked by Wakboth) and give them some much needed help.

 Didn't someone say that it might be possible that the Fourth Age mortals might start HQing to replace the dead gods, therefore readying themselves for the Devil (I think that the Devil is more accurate than Wakboth). Or, perhaps, the Devil will return in mortal guise -- or the Devil will manifest as the mortal races themselves killing each other off without his own aid.

 With that in mind, here's a Question: In the Fourth Age, if everyone is so skeptical about gods and myth (which is suggested by KoS) then why haven't they pushed the Block away and have a look at Wakboth? Unless, of course, the Block isn't there anymore, in which case -- where did it go?

Simon brought up a few good points:

>> But note that all the Gods were not killed in the KOS episode
>
>No, only the proper gods.

 Leaving the Chaos Gods "alive". Does this mean that in the Fourth Age Rune Magic is directly connected with chaos?

>2. Think of it as like the view of the elephant and the blind men - one near
>the trunk thinks it is a sanke, one near a leg a tree, one near a tusk a
>spear and so on. Yelmalio (the big god) is worshipped in many ways by many
>people.

 Why do you think it is Yelmalio who's the "big god"? I don't think *anyone* worships the god that Khelmal/Yelmalio/Elmal/Antirius/Hurril orignated from. I think it turn into one of the Big Secrets of Glorantha as to who the Big and Original God is (perhaps they are all remanents of Yamsur the Unknown God?)

Nick E.

Nick Effingham         E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com

Britain is Dorastor without broo