Yelmalio

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 00:02:56 +1200

Simon Phipp:

>Please clarify - does this mean "Do not answer points line-by-line in the
>Digest" in which case I will e-mail you privately or does it mean that a
>general case would explain where I am coming from?

The latter. I'm quite notorious for the former.

[Caladra and Aurelion]

Me>>There is a passage there which talks about the Priesthood being a
>>typical Sky-Earth marriage before this.

>The cult was founded as an equal partnership, without the Fire-Female,
>Earth-Male correspondence.

So the reformers said. All reformers who introduce religious reforms into a cult claim to be taking it back to the Old Pure Traditions. [That's an Orlanthi All BTW].

Me>> To see if we're speaking on the same wavelength, let me pose a
>>hypothetical question. If there is a cult of 'Yelmalio' among
>>the Elves of Enkloso does this prove a) Yelmalio had migrated
>>from Genertela to Pamaltela and back again in his diverse career
>>or b) the cult was imported by somebody else and absorbed whatever
>>native light hero cult there was?

>It proves nothing at all. Yelmalio was probably known to *all* the
>elves as the Forest Sun, as detailed before.

If he was known to all elves, then why is he needed to be physically in Prax to teach the Ostrich Riders when they could have easily gotten the worship of Yelmalio from the Elves before the Forests of Prax were burnt?

And if he is the forest sun why does he need to be a physical person instead of an aspect of the Sun himself?

>It would seem unlikely that a culture as insular as the Green Elves of
>Enkloso would have truck with any foreign cult, especially as there are
>elves there who lived during the Darkness.

Unless perhaps the foreigners who imported the cult were Green Elves from the north.

>3. Great Gods devolve into minor gods. [...] Minor gods devolve into
>Aspects. [...] When a hero finds an Aspect of his god, he may be
>worshipped as an Avatar of that Aspect, but he has still only revealed
>an Aspect.

But can an aspect become a minor god and so forth? Orlanth has replaced Umath as the Great God of Storm and nobody worships Aether anymore.

>4. In my opinion, the GodLearners [...] did not amalgamate small gods
>into large ones [...] they found the different myths of Orlanth and
>recognised that they were of the same God.

And if they graft an alien myth onto a god, would that not count as revealing an aspect? For example, I heroquest at the Dawning to discover that the Risen Sun is actually my ancestor, a solar hero active during the Great Darkness, come again. Am I revealing a pre-existing truth or am I grafting my ancestor cult onto the Sun? This has actually happened in Darjiin where they believed (I don't know if they do so now) that the Sun was their Ancestor Manimat.

>5. Before you quote Arkat and The Red Emperor as examples, they are
>amalgams of minor heroes, in the RE's case, or a Hero and his mates,
>in Arkat's case, but they are still only minor Gods, not even in the
>same league as Yelmalio.

Arkat's cult is _bigger_ than the Yelmalio Cult described in Sun County and so is that of the Red Emperor IMO.

>By the way, I don't actually think that anyone believes that Yelmalio was
>made up from another cult, or whatever. People believe that Yelmalio is,
>was and always has been.

Except of course deluded sages who write rubbish like 'making gods' in KoS. ;-)