Timeline

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 18 Jun 96 01:49:16 EDT

Hal Bowman asked:

> Since I may have a group of players who wish to liberate Prax (maybe Sartar)
> between the years 1619-1630, could someone please email or post a simple
> (ha-ha) timeline of events involving Harrek, Argrath, etc. during that time?

The best source for this kind of information is King of Sartar. If there's any way you can lay your hands on a copy, I'd urge you to do so.

> I don't have KoS. Frankly, after this week's postings, I'm not sure I could
> understand it...

Please notice that the people arguing over King of Sartar are talking about some *very* limited and *deliberately* obscure areas of the book (notice the way they quote the same sentence to each other, time and time again). Most of the paperback is plain sailing, and it contains extremely useful stuff for RuneQuest gaming. Like a complete history of Third Age Dragon Pass (including a pretty much year-by-year account of the period you're interested in), oodles of Orlanthi mythology and social stuff, etc. Please don't be put off by the fact that some folk like to argue over the obscure bits: that's why they were put there. (It would be like rejecting Cults of Terror as a Gloranthan source because you didn't quite understand what Nysalor/Gbaji was about).

> I am interested in the following locations: Prax, Sartar, Nochet, Karse,
> Heortland, Umathela, and ...Jolar/Kothar. Does the big fight erupt between
> the Arbennan Confederation and the Kresh during this time? Who wins? Er...
> also Nolos/Pasos/Pithadros - when do the Brithini return.

We don't have any "hard facts" on the Jolar/Kothar conflict: the best source for "chrome" in this period would be to read Tales #11, the Pamaltela Special, and especially John Hughes' evocative piece, "Aranjara Dreaming". We have no information on when the Big Fight happens, or who wins it. Likewise Umathela, except that from the Annotated Argrath's Saga (in KoS) we know roughly when Harrek, Argrath and the Wolf Pirates were passing by.

Likewise, there is no solid date for any of the "Events of the Hero Wars"; and you may have read recently that some folk (myself included) don't think the Brithini will be back. At the Seventh Malkioni Ecclesiastical Council (Sog City, 1625), it hadn't yet happened, but some characters' plots were working towards *something* big in the not-too-distant future.

As I said in my last post, I tend to think Gloranthan history at the end of the Third Age should all be happening within the life-span of a character who was rolled up in 1610 as a 15-year-old, or else what's it all about (eh?). But the Events aren't *necessarily* going to happen, or to happen the way they're written up: they're just pointers to the way Glorantha *might* go in the near future. Really, these things are for your campaign judgement: there ain't no One True Way.

Nick