Re: Dykene, Hurril

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:46:48 -0700

Simon Phipp wondered
> Does anyone else believe that Light Sons playing the part of Dykene in the
> pageants in Balazar must dress up as a woman in direct contravention of their
> taboos, but are allowed to as long as they have a full and visible beard?

Wow, I never thought of that -- this almost makes me want to resurrect my Griffin Island campaign!

However, I ran the Griffin Island version of the Sun God as a really laid-back version of the mainland cult. Likewise, I suspect in Balazar, the Yelmalio* cult restrictions won't be as onerous as in places where there's a true Sun Dome temple. So the Balazaring Light Sons would dress up as Dykene and think nothing of it.

> I am not at all sure who Hurril is

Martin Crim made him up, as the Elvish Yelmalio. I'm not sure how widely subscribed to this belief is.