Luatha in Slontos???

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 19:53 MET DST

Peter Metcalfe in reply to David Cake:
>> Now, what I would like to know about the whole thing is for someone
>>to give a convincing explanation of the 'every 600 years you have come' bit
>>I.e. a good theory for who the last three appearances are, rather than just
>>the last one.

>Well the Devil's appearance in the Second Age was probably that Chaos
>invasion which engulfed Slontos before the Luatha sunk it.

Ok, there was a chaos infestation in Slontos, according to the information available, and we know that Slontos sunk, but where did you get the idea that the Luatha were involved?

IIRC "Slont(ol)a rolled over to extinguish the chaos horror upon her body".

In the usual sunny dispute (with Simon):
>As a historical example: The Ralians believe that the Sun is Ehilm
>who appeared to them as a historical person. They do not know anybody
>called Yelm nor do they have any myth of Ehilm going over the Mountains.
>Ehilm came from Brithos, ruled and was killed in Ralios.

Do you have more details for this?

Slightly related to this:
>From what I have been shown of Jonat Saga (Greg 1967), Ehilm was contacted
by a Galanini queen a few generations before Jonat passed through that land - - in vrey much the same way Hon-eel contacts Golden Bow of the Pentans. I am not sure how much the mentions of gold use in Elder Secrets contradict this dating for their royal lineage descended from Ehilm, though; in Rise of Ralios I assumed that there was no other line of descendants of Ehilm among the Galanini before.

>>> But can an aspect become a minor god and so forth? Orlanth has replaced
>>> Umath as the Great God of Storm and nobody worships Aether anymore.

>>Orlanth has not replaced Umath. Umath was God of All Storms.

>He has replaced him in the ownership of the Storm Rune (whatever that
>means). Umath is no longer a Great God of Storm.

Hey, I side with Peter on this!

Orlanth has also replaced most of his brothers among his own people - check the myth of Storm Bull, Yinkin, the lariat and the stick...

Simon:
>>True, the Brithini believe there were no gods, that everyone in Godtime was a
>>bad sorcerer who strayed from the paths. Of course, they are wrong.

Modern day Brithini don't believe in the existance of gods. Old-time Brithini knew all the gods (or their region), worshipped none of them, but had their wizards propitiate or summon them.