Idle Speculation

From: SimonPhipp_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 19:54:07 -0400

Argrath

> saying that the Hero we've been waiting for since RQ2 has arrived at last,
but none of your PCs are
> going to be alive when he starts doing anything interesting (as he'll rule
for 100 years) seems
> inherently foolish to me!

Why? Arkat's war lasted 75 years, people born near the start of Nyslaor's reign would have been old men by the time the war finished. PCs can always get around silly rules like ageing by Questing for Immortality - one of the more standard HeroQuests.

>> Fourthly, Argrath could not do the LBQ again to defeat the Devil, since he
>> had already done it.
>
> Just like Harmast Barefoot, really (who is *famous* for "doing it" twice).
On Argrath's first LBQ, he had to extend it to bring back Sheng Seleris. We do not know how difficult this was, but I bet it was not easy. To defeat the Red Emperor, he had to ask for something which the LBQ could not deliver. To defeat the Devil afterwards, if he attempted the LBQ, he may have had to do even more stuff and probably knew that the gods could not help him again.

Anyway, I do not think that Harmast performed the Great Compromise - he only went into Hell to bring back Arkat and Talor, not to bind the Devil, otherwise there would have been no need for Arkat to defeat Gbaji.

> Here's a thought, if the gods were walking around in the time of the
Monster Empire then maybe,
> instead of going to Hell to throw the Net that captured all the gods and
the Devil killed them etc.... then
> maybe the gods came to Argrath! The final battle may have been really
titanic as the gods walked the
> Cosmos again, and Argath, a mere mortal, would have been insignificant.

Yes, I do not think the Devil was destroyed on the LBQ at all, but was battled on the surface with the aid of the gods. But, Argrath must have been important in order to get the gods going and to say "why don't you grab hold of this net while I hide behind this rock with my Unbreakable Sword".

Other Stuff

> The Vadeli say that whatever you say about your gods sounds truly
wonderful, and they only *wish*
> they were worthy to worship your gods in the way you've told them about,
but they're just poor humble
> Vadeli, whose mediocre ancestral way will have to suffice, because they
weren't fortunate enough to
> be born into an amazing people like your own. They are almost the only
(publicly) humble people
> of Glorantha, creepily so.

Thanks, this is now officially part of my campaign - it was worth getting the Digest for this alone.

> But the Events aren't *necessarily* going to happen, or to happen the way
they're written up: they're
> just pointers to the way Glorantha *might* go in the near future. Really,
these things are for your
> campaign judgement: there ain't no One True Way.

True enough - in my campaign, the PCs have mucked about with the Timeline and Heroes so much that the Hero Wars are now running at a complete tangent. (For further details, email me and I'll tell you what they did to Harrek and Argrath)

> Definitely appropriate to the digest, but it reminds me of the trap in one
of the solo books which only falls
> on and crushes mistress race trolls, as they're too gross for anyone to be
allowed to play one as a PC.

Then it DIs back and carries on - not a way to stop a Mistress Race Troll. Still, if the species is there and accessible, then we should be able to play it - I might draw the line at Luathelans, though.

Still not mentioning Gods and Heroes.......

Simon