Re: last word on elemental power?

From: Delecti_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 05:47:55 -0400

In a message dated 96-06-15 22:40:18 EDT, Ian writes:

<< I don't have any quarrel with elementals being available to do heaps of
work on
 special occasions. I just don't accept that Gloranthan cultures can exist as

 they do if elementals can be used too commonly or easily.>> I never said common or easy. I am sure only the larger temples (that have a need for them, like Lodril) and very large cites, would have them.

<<For examply, you suggest that various peoples might keep salamanders in
their
forges.>>
Yes I am, I think they would be very useful.

<< I don't like this if you get something for nothing. Once the salamander
 is in there the forge burns forever.>>
It burns for as long as the salamander is bound to it. The salamander will still have to be controlled in some manner, unless the binding limits it to set functions. It doe not cost nothing, the enchantments alone would cost anywhere from 3 to10+ POW, not to mention the cost of summoning. Also, the salamander in question may get damaged, or destroyed.

<< I think you still should have to shovel in coal whenever you want to heat
it up enough to work metal. Otherwise the salamander will become small and weak and cool. He should not be able to work forever without any sustenance.>>
If that is how they work elsewhere (i.e. other bindings, in tombs, etc.). I think that if an elemental is in a place such as a temple, or other area where energy (i.e. MP's from worship, nilmergs, sorcerous energy transfer units, etc.) can be gotten, then they should be able to do alright.

I do not think that they are used commonly, and that they are not popular because when someone makes an enchantment, that person is most likely the end user (after all, you are using a very essential part of yourself to do it). To make an item for long term use (i.e. forever) by others, the enchanter is going to be either paid well, or have a deep commitment to the end users (i.e. priests, waertagi, mostali, etc.).

<<Using elementals is possible but it requires respect and sacrifice or there
will
 be unpleasant repercussions. >>
Probably, and that is another reason why it does not become common (i.e. Joerg's lack of control probably did some serious damage, the townsfolk would be in an uproar.)

Scott
aka
Delecti_at_aol.com