morocanth dentition (and fingers)

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:53:00 -0400

Martin Crim:

Good question about morocanth dentition. If they do have herbivore teeth then they are in trouble.

I have assumed that underneath those snouts they have a rather pig-like non-specialized set of teeth (without the prominent tusks that some pig species have).

My guess about this was that the morocanth were not pure herbivores at the time of the Survival Covenant. They were omnivores. Maybe this was one contributing reason why they were clever and competitive enough to win their contests while the herbivores weren't.

By the way, I believe that their hands are actually fairly agile. Yes, they lack opposable thumbs and this does greatly limit them. Their fingers are still strong and flexible. They can actually use tools reasonably well. My old school shop teacher was missing a lot of bits of fingers and one whole thumb, his hands were still remarkably deft with tools.

A morocanth can grasp an object by wrapping his fingers around it (a hammer grip) which is strong but not agile, or he can squeeze it between his fingers which is more agile but not strong. It is the combination of strength and fine control that is difficult for the morocanth.