Re: God Learners

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 13:55:44 -0500

Carl Fink
>I'll add that by the time of the Second Age's ending, very few
real "God >Learners" were still around.

        I don't know where you get this idea from, Carl. There were more God Learners just before the cataclysms began than at any other time in the history of their empire. Their secrets were widespread, known to a large group of people, and in fact were no longer "secret" in the strict sense of the world. Entire universities were devoted to nothing but bringing other people to a proper training in God Learning.

>Their failing was *moral*, not intellectual.

        There is no evidence that they were more immoral at the end of their time than they were at the start. They had committed more crimes, more blasphemies, more mythic atrocities, than at the start, but this was because their ability had increased, not their inclination.

BUT an important thing to remember is that the God Learners were not the only Empire to be destroyed in the disasters. The Six-Leggers and False Dragon Ring, though descended from the God Learners, had evolved away from them. Errinoru's Elf Empire, the Eastern Seas, and the EWF were not God Learners in ancestry _or_ principle. There is more than the destruction of the God Learners in the Second Age ruin.

        Nonetheless, the Gift Carriers appear to carry their torch only for the God Learners themselves. The other empires do not restore themselves for other reasons: the flowers of Errinoru's lineage are extinct, and cannot return; the Doraddi have culturally immunized themselves against empire; Golden Mokato permits none of her citizens to leave her shores, fearful of the doom that still awaits her.

Carl Fink
>I've always wanted to run a game in which one of the Outer Atomic
Explorers is >sucked back into the Inner World. He would join with the PCs ... and then Solara >would react. The players find themselves forced, subtly or overtly, but >inevitably, to become the Gift Carriers of the Sending Gods

        What a cool idea, Carl! I love it!

Jeff Richard
>Ultimately, IMO, the GLers were a failure

        In the same way that the Roman Empire was a failure? Or the dinosaurs? Come now, Jeff, the GLers survived for centuries, spread their ideas, architecture, deities, and culture around the world, and though they are gone, their descendants survive and the world has been forever altered by their presence. Today, they are still at least as profound an influence on Glorantha as were the Renaissance and Industrial Revolution combined on modern Earth.