Our Reactions to Others' Gloranthan Reality

From: Bibishar_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:23:23 -0400

Greetings -

I see the "what is Reality" thread has come back. (No surprise, really, considering the number of Terrans who have spent a lot of time on the subject!)

But instead of arguing about who is "right" about Reality, how about let's look at some people's reactions to other people's arguments? At least one person appears to be upset -

"(Throws his hands up in disgust and gives up)"

Another appears to be arguing (stubbornly, IMO) in absolutes -

"If there was no "real" Godtime, if the mythoi exist *only* because
people made them up . . . then Glorantha is stupid and futile."

"And if your first sentence is true, all is futile, all is chaos."

So I ask -
Why is the nature of Reality in Glorantha so important to us that we react with deep emotion and obstinancy to opinions different from our own?

Why do we (or at least some of us) persist in trying to convince others our Vision of Glorantha is The Right (or Best, or Only, etc.) way?

How about we practice some introspection and talk about why Our Conception of Glorantha is So Important to Us?

In my case, I find I am most emotional about the places in Glorantha to which I feel a connection in my own life. For example, if some insists my beliefs about Illumination (which I believe is akin to Terran Post Modernism) or tricksters (no captial "T", since I don't believe in a pan-Trickster cult) is Wrong (Stupid, Futile, Silly, etc.), I get upset.

What about YOU?

philosophically yours,

james polk