Moons

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 22:17:41 +0100

> While some groups may have convinced themselves of this,
>there is abundant evidence that the Blue and Red Moons are wholly
>separate entities. The Blue Moon is _still_ in the sky -- you can
>see it every 2-7 days or so with the right magic. It's plain that
>she didn't turn red -- just _look_ at her. She's blue, see?

 The same way that we can see evidence of Yelm the Youth and Yelm the Elder in the very self-same Sun worshipping lands? The examples cited, that the many Moons cannot all be part of One Single Being because they have "copies" of themselves, is merely an example of Gloranthan Myth repeating itself. In the lands of Prax and Pamaltela the people believe that GOdtime/Dreamtime is entwined with Time and repeating itself. An oracular symbol the cult shaman interprets as being from Yelm the Youth isn't seen as impossible merely because a sign from Yelm the Elder was seen yesterday. The Moon, young and old, can be seen at the same time, from many different perspectives.

>Her ever-decaying corpse can be visited on the hero-plane
>and talked with. Her castle is a separate tower from the Red Moon's
>(though they are mystically connected).

 Who's POV is this? If the HeroPlane only appears to be a representation of a particular persons own knowledge of myths then while an Orlanthi might see Annilla, a Lunar might see the future corpse of their goddess -- or the corpse of their goddess before she was ressurected. We can also HQ and see both Umath as Storm Ruler and Orlanth as Storm Ruler -- it doesn't mean that Orlanth can't be the Owner of the Storm Rune just because we can HQ and meet his father. The HeroPlane is as biased as any Mortal being.

>Also, don't forget the Black Moon.

 (ominous thunder) I *never* forget the Black Moon (evil cackling).

Nick E. (Gloranthan Lore 2520% due to Intervention from Simon Phipps)

Britain is Dorastor without broo

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #654