Belief, truth, reality, and other deep issues

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 18:57:21 -0400

Michael Raaterova:

>Carl Fink:
>=========
>
>Me:
>>>It Is True As Long As You Believe It Is.
>
>>if your first sentence is true, all is futile, all is chaos.
>
>Now, why would all be futile and chaos just because you believe something
>to be true? Belief creates meaningfulness and orderliness. If you don't
>believe *anything* all is futile and chaos.

That's not what you said, though. You didn't write "If You Belive It, it SEEMS True."

>If i answer your question and say "yes [no], Orlanth really did [not] kill
>the Sun God and did [not] bring on the darkness," the answer will be True
>As Long As You Believe It Is.

And I think there's an "external" reality, and the question is either true or false, no matter what you personally or collectively believe, in the same way that fossils didn't disappear during the millenia of belief in Divine Creation.

>The production of meaning demands an interpretating subject. You have to
>specify *for whom* the question and the answer is to be meaningful.
>Otherwise it is void of meaning.

Nope, not the case, not in matters of fact. Plain wrong.

>I won't discuss this topic on the digest no longer, as it is non-productive
>and boring. We can only agree to disagree.

If it's so boring, why did you write a four screen post on it?

People have asked why I feel so strongly about this. Well, look at it as a gaming issue for a second: say that my gang of PCs manages, through mind-ripping terror and incredible dedication and (to be honest) insanity and betrayal, to prevent the destruction of the city of Bikhy by Chaos. (Go ahead and say that, we did it.)

Now, in the "whatever is believed is true" universe, some future heroquester can retroactively rearrange history so that he and his sister saved the city, or the city was never in danger, or we failed and the city *was* eaten by chaos. Anything we did is ultimately meaningless and futile, because it may never actually have happened. - --

Dueling Modems, Inc.                    http://www.sfrt.com/sfrt/
"As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, the Internet deserves the highest protection from government intrusion."

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #655