Re: heroes

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 12:27:12 -0700

Simon Phipp wrote

> Our campaign has run for many years, real time, and has reached the point
> where I am trying to bring on the Hero Wars - big time. However, my players
> are adamant that they will not let it happen, as their characters do not want
> to have to take sides, and so they are stopping each and every outbreak with
> excessive force. Soon, though .........

I believe that attitude will only make it worse, as more mythic pressure will have built up.

Carl Fink worried

> in the "whatever is believed is true" universe, some future
> heroquester can retroactively rearrange history so that he and his
> sister saved the city, or the city was never in danger, or we failed
> and the city *was* eaten by chaos. Anything we did is ultimately
> meaningless and futile, because it may never actually have happened.

Not at all. Heroquesting is a serious and difficult process. It's not like someone can just say, "I don't believe Bikhy was saved from chaos," they have to go back and fight you. Or (to steal the credit), be you. Either way, you are permanently on the hero plane, even if your mundane memory or your role may change. And any change isn't as simple or quick as playing an "oh no you don't" card.

I personally don't to die young in battle instead of at a ripe old age, but this is standard heroic thinking. If your characters don't want to go do heroic deeds because they might not be remembered in the distant future, they too should stay at home and die in bed.