Dead Loremasters

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 01:00:03 +0100

Jane:

>Michael Raaterova:

>Your suggestions on Loremasters make good sense to me: thanks. I'd forgotten
>the possibility of summoning the spirit back. Wouldn't that only work for
>the chap's descendants, though? I'm assuming there's a fair degree of
>ancestor-worship in any clan, so that's where they'd get the spell from:
>would a non-descendant be able to call the Loremaster back? Or is it
>compulsory for a Loremaster to have children, just in case...?
[...]
>And another person [Sandy] suggesting calling back the ghost to ask it
>questions: is this a more "normal" procedure than I'd been thinking? Must
>make murder trials easy to solve, if all you have to do is call back the
>victim and ask them! Or am I missing something?

There are two ways of summoning the dead loremaster: 1) Summon Ancestor, which is a bummer if the guy didn't have children, and 2) Summon LM Cult Spirit, which also is a bummer if the guy wasn't worthy of becoming a cult spirit. Even if the spirit gets summoned, it's not sure it wants to stay summoned, and the trauma of death may have caused madness or memory loss, especially if the death was terrible.

These difficulties are the same for spirits of murder victims, though they usually don't become cult spirits. There are easier ways of solving murder trials - LM Truespeak or Lore Trance.

>I _love_ the idea of Elma(le), the wife of Barntar. Quite how I'd fit it
>into my Glorantha I don't know, but I'm going to try: it's too good to lose.

Glad you liked it. I think Elmale is only encountered among more isolated orlanthi, and in Esrolia of course where she is Sun Sister.