Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #656

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 00:34:41 +0100

Nick Effingham on my Uzuz musings (mUZings?)
> I didn't think it was the spirits of dead
>Uzuz, I thought it were spirits known as Warriors of Darkness, which I
>always assumed appeared via the Induce Uzdo rite which would mean they
>were Darkness Spirits.

As I said, I was working from memory - Looking it up now (Uz Lore p20)  "Cragspider's method was...to invoke Dehori spirits , and later expanded to include hero gods and some dieties, to posess the bodies of troll fathers and mothers", which admitidly differs from Induce Uzdo (Troll Cults p82). I like my version though :)

On a Troll Heroquest to stop Yelm going to Hell
> If they ever prevented
>Yelm from going to Hell (which would be pretty difficult; any troll who went
>near him was burnt and scarred -- and they were trying to escape, not stop
>the guy!) it would be a Very Bad thing. The entire of the HeroPlane would
>start to change, no trolls would ever leave Wonderhome to take their place
>in the Mortal Realm, no LBQ, no chaos. The changes would be severe, and
>possibley catastrophic. Don't mess up myths, the GLers should have taught
>you that.

The critical point woould appear to be the Battle of Hanroo Field, where Yelm burned his way through the trolls and "Strode through Wonderhome and settled nearby, close enough so his light hurt the trolls and frightened the spirits." - This is also where Yelm struck Korasting and prevented her escape to the hurtplace. This therefore would be the target for Uz Heroquestors, either to rescue Korasting or to persuade Yelm to settle elsewhere. Trolls would still appear in the mortal realm, raiding, eating and fighting Chaos (Xenetha, Zoral Zoran, Xiola Umbar and Gorakiki are all mentioned as having migrated before Kygor Litor ordered the evacuation of the Trolls.) Orlanth would still have killed Yelm, and would still need to fetch him back, just from somewhere else. The difficulties are (1) Where would you put Yelm? and (2) How? (as you say Yelm was unstoppable, he just burned up Trolls who got in his way). This would certainly increase Trolls powers, but would still leave them open to Gbaji's curse. Naxili Garang's attempt was probably along the right lines, just not strong enough.

On my assertion that no Uzuz have been born since the troll migration to the Hurtplace

> What! That's news to me. Elder Secrets says that young Mistress Race trolls
>are very rare creatures -- but not impossible. So, unless the Uz have
>invented cryogenics, I think you may be wrong.
Uz Lore p5 "Kygor Litor was struck by a deep, unyielding sorrow which permeated the whole troll race. So deep was her pain, ands so critical the energy lost with Korasting, that all trolls born since that time have differed greatly from the more ancient type. The ancient race is calle d the Mistress Race, but the new race are called Dark Trolls. The former persists in historical times, but is slowly dying out despite troll efforts to make it otherwise."

>Britain is Dorastor without broo

Dorastor is britain without John Major? (or is he a greyskin?)

Jane Williams to Sandy on summoning spirits of the dead
> is this a more "normal" procedure than I'd been thinking? Must
>make murder trials easy to solve, if all you have to do is call back the
>victim and ask them! Or am I missing something?

Well a spirit can only tell you what it knows, so a killer in disguise, or striking from behind, or at a distance (ie poisened wine) would still be fairly safe, and of course "everyone" knows this, so just as a well planned burgalar would always wear gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints, a well planned murderer would ensure the victim could not identify them.

Martin, Loren, David and Mark all respond to Carl's worry that his hard earned victory may be overturned. I agree with all of them (I don't think they contradicted each other did they?) What effect this would have on our valient troll Heroquestors stopping Yelm above would get really complicated though. They couldn't undo the biths of all Dark Trolls since Time, nor retrospectively make them into Uzuz, but suddenly Mistress Race would start to appear again... (Now you know why people are so worried when Mistress Race Trolls turn up.)

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Gorakiki Dung Beetle, A God that's really got his shit together!        |