thoughtful deliberations

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 12:17:12 +1200

Nick Effingham:

> The Red Moon and Blue Moon are both different aspects of the Primal Moons
>advancement.

You and some Lunars believe this - that doesn't make it so. What's to stop Yelm or Shargash being made a Moon by this argument?

> If I HeroQuested and managewd to reincarnate Arkat Swordlord, what would
>prevent my friend to HQ and come back as Arkat Chaosbane? A previous version
>of Arkat standing side by side to a later version. *Exactly* the same as the
>red and Blue Moon.

But Arkat is *not* a celestial body.

>You're forgetting that the Red Moon appeared via HQing, not by herself.

She was born via HeroQuesting. She became the Red Moon by herself.

> Watch the "Five Doctors" and watch it all come together.

A TV series where the bad-ass alien has difficulty in getting up the stairs? No thanks. But then again the aliens there were a damn sight better than the other one in which the aliens seem to be actors with various odds-and-ends stuck up their noses.

Fantome:

In relation to telling the god learner secret.

>> Ken Rolston: "That's the cruelest thing I've ever seen. I love it!" <<

>I think the next cruellest is telling a digest full of people who would
>love to know the secret that you know it (apart from Sandy - who nearly
>everybody knows that he knows) and not telling them the secret. :)

Let's play a game! Who on the digest do you (all of you) think is most likely to have come across the Forbidden Secret independantly? This excludes the ones who have been declared to know the forbidden secret (Sandy, Carl Fink, Jeff Okatomo), ones who have been declared not to know it (Nick Brooke), yourself (can't nominate yourself) and me (to preserve the element of cruelty).

Mark Smylie:

>If a Sartarite were to believe whole-heartedly that Argrath and Yelmalio
>were seperated at birth and are actually the twin bastard children of
>Wachaza and the Red Moon, then I'm sorry, that Sartarite is a demented
>madman (and no amount of HeroQuesting is gonna make his belief
>so) -- though of course I suppose in somebody's Glorantha somewhere that
>might actually be the case (sigh).

There are tons of people in the RW today whose beliefs are 'plain wrong' or even worse inconsistent. I think that the Madmen's belief would work if his faith was strong enough, but he would have to do some pretty exotic HQing to make it all stand up. Even then the myth is only true for himself and whatever innocent people he managed to warp in his quest (ie the Yelmalion who the madman forced to acknowlege that Yelmalio was the twin brother of Argrath etc).

>Secondly, IMO there's a distinction between the events of the GodTime
>which must now be visited on the God Plane through HeroQuests and
>"actual" "history". I would think that one of the side effects of
>the Compromise is, in effect, the imposition of "linear time" from
>that point forward.

Given that the Dara Happans believe that there is no Compromise, can they and the Lunars change history? :) I resolve this dilemma by extending linear time (which cannot be changed) back beyond the compromise right to the beginning - thus the Golden Age, the Green Age and the Dragon Age can all be written in linear history *if* we had the evidence.

The GodTime surrounds the Inner world like a shell and the closest parts of it are images of the events that happened in the most recent past (ie the last Orlanth High Holy Day using the rites of Alakoring). The distant images recede away from the Inner world (like 'I love Lucy' TV episodes from earth) and they can be accessed by HeroQuesting (ie an Orlanthi can travel to a place where they celebrate the Orlanth High Holy Day using the rites of Vingkot).

This helps me resolve the apparent contradiction between arguing about who did what in the distant past and believing that what people believe in the present is not dictated by the Gods or by the dead hand of the past.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #657