God Learners

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 11:28:39 +0800

>They did *not* respect the original cults. The cults were changed
>quite dramatically. Caladra was originally a male god called Caladril
>whereas Aurelion was one of the Evil Gods of the Red Glass Mountains
>feared by the Jrustelan pygmies.

       I didn't mean that they retained the form of the original cults - I admit that they were God Learners of the deepest dye. Though I was unaware of the nature of the original cults.

        But my point is that they didn't treat the cults as toys - they were trying to create a new religion, for whatever reason, and they created one with strong myths, well conceived mythic ties, and that respected its worshippers needs. And they didn't try to undermine any other religions. Their behaviour is just as much an outrageous act of God Leaner manipulation, but its also a much less morally iniquitous act than things like the Goddess Switch.

>Furthermore you forget that the two
>cult heros actually undertook major quests to ensure that their cult
>was on safe mythic footing before the Disasters struck.

        Another example of how they had a lot more respect for the whole process that many other God Learners. They actually followed through, rather than just congratulating themselves on an experiment well done.

>Did I say they were totally bad?

        No. But is often assumed that the God Learners were totally bad, and they were not. Nor where all there acts bad. It is often argued that the modern Issaries cult has been the subject of a lot of God Learner meddling, for example - resulting in much of its extraordinary usefulness, both to prospective God Leaners and to those who simply want to trade.

        Some God Learners were good folks who did good things. Some God Learners were bad folk who did bad things. But most of them were just clever folks who did ultimately very stupid things.

        And some of the things they discovered were very useful, some very dangerous. They just didn't understand the difference at the time.

        Cheers
                Dave

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #658