Re: Dark thoughts

From: Andrew Raphael <raphael_at_research.canon.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 18:08:04 +1000 (EST)

tickler_at_netcom.com (Brian Tickler) writes:

>1) Should the darkness of night represent merely the absence of Yelm's
>light as in the RW, or (as I would imagine *should* be the case) is there
>a tangible presence of Darkness involved?

Xentha, goddess of Night and mother of Argan Argar, god of Surface Darkness. She's detailed in Troll Gods, and IIRC, is almost as aloof as Dayzatar, since she gives the protection of Darkness to all without the requirement of worship.

>2) If there is, *how* is it involved? How does it interact with Air,
>the Sky Dome, etc.

I doubt there's any interaction with the Air. She probably exits the Gates of Dawn as Yelm enters the Gates of Dusk and walks the same path along the Sky Dome. Or maybe she covers the Sky Dome from underneath. The phrase "Xentha's Cloak" springs to mind.

>4) Making an assumption for the moment that in a magical, non-scientific
>way, sound is transmitted through various elements, does a Troll's
>darksense work better at night, than if the same Troll were just
>blindfolded (based on the idea that Darksense is more than just sonar
>and has an actual "affinity" to Darkness vs. sounds travelling through
>other elements)? Are there other effects of interest to Troll or
>various Darkness creatures/entities/spirits?

There was something like this posted. In short, Hearing is the Darkness Sense, so Darksense is just sonar. You can put out a troll's eyes without seriously inconveniencing her. The uzuz are nearly blind anyway. Sound is carried best through Darkness and through other elements better or worse depending on their mythical closeness to Darkness.

>I'm wondering what other people have done in this area.

You should search Loren Miller's archive. There's heaps of good stuff there.