Time Travel

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:15:34 +1200

Mike Cule:

>I'm forced to this by the fact that Greg somewhere or other remarks that a
>group of strange looking figures appearing at a critical battle were
>HeroQuesters from the future come back to change reality. (And that they
>may have in fact succeeded: I don't have the reference to hand at this
>instant, can anyone dig it up for me?)

ToTRM#7. It's in the article that has the HQ character sheet on it.

However I think Greg came slightly unstuck here. IMO the Lunars and the Sorcerers created a new section of the Heroplane and got sucked in and stuck there. The Alien beings described in the fifth wane chronicle are chaotic monsters created by the clashing spell. Argrath and Sheng Seleris (they are some of the alien HQers he was thinking of) do visit this place to kill Magnificus and consume his body but they are not time-travelling IMO. If Argrath left his sword behind, then it will remain in the section of the Heroplane, *not* reappear in the Lunar Empire of the 1500's. To a scribe composing the Saga of Argrath, it will look as though Argrath has travelled back in time.

>Also I suspect that the Pharoah was just such a time traveller.

He fell out of the future according to the RQ CON 1 Lore Auction. I however think this future was the expectations of the Kethaelans of the time ('...and a pale swimmer shall come crashing onto the shore to deliver the land from Darkness') which was suddenly made manifest rather than Belintar have coming from a real future of 1600 ST say.

If Belintar was a HQer in our world who popped from 1996 into the 1960's, then he would look like the 60's conception of what the future would be like (with funny cars, skintight boiler suits and Asimovean Robots) and be ignorant of many things that exist in 1996 (like the WWW, PC's, faxes, VCRs, Doom etc).

All IMO. I don't like Time Travel as the fudges resolving the Grandfather Paradox (both in Glorantha and the RW) are just too jarring for my tastes.