God Learners again

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:54:05 +0800

 I think there is no further point in argueing any more on specific examples in this forum - I'm not going to convince Peter, and everyone else no doubt has their own opinions.

        But to summarise my position on the morality of the God Learners - God Learning is a set of magical teachings and techniques. It does not, in itself, imply moral iniquity, though it does open up intrigueing new posibbilities to those already of dubious moral values. Nor do I think that God Learner techniques always lead to disaster - there are several cults which show heavy evidence of God Learner tinkering which currently exist, firmly cemented into the mythic landscape. I see no evidence to suggest that it does, except the propaganda of the winning side. I do think that as a whole, the combination of God Learner techniques and human nature is going to lead to disaster - but in general, not in all cases.

        I actually think that one valid view of the basis of the God Learner tragedy is that they took Arkats techniques and developed them, but ignored Arkats dictum, and that was the seed of their disaster.

        Cheers

                Dave