HeroQuests

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 15:26:11 +1200

Mark Smylie:

>Hmm; tricky, that. I agree with David Dunham that regardless of whether
>the Dara Happans acknowledge the Compromise, there is a distinct difference
>between pre-Dawn and post-Dawn time;

That's merely a question of what was it like back then? I'm saying that it was linear back then which is a *seperate* question of how close the Godplane was to the Inner World. Of course, the Godplane may have been so close in some places that it confused an inhabitant's thought processes but I do not think it was uniformly so.

Simon Phipp:

Me>>Most of the dieties of the Red Glass Mountains were exterminated.

>Where does this come from?

Wyrm's Footprints: the God Learners.

Carl Fink:

>I have a problem with Joe Heroquester changing the story so that the
>Sun was a female principle, and instead of dying was seduced and
>impregnated.

  1. The Sun is a sexless being. I can't see any genitals on the Sun, can you? Of course, the Yelm Priests who have looked at the Sun have all gone blind so there may be some naughty bits on the sun. If on the other hand, say Joe HQ tried to change the myth so that the Sun was a Dark Being. Then his 'myth' would have lost any magical connection (principles of similarity) it had with the Godplane concerning the Sun and it will not work.
  2. Similarly if Joe Hero changes the story that it no longer describes how the Sun went to Hell, then it becomes demonstrably false (in which case it won't work) or describes another event/god.

In any case, the sun-slaying myth would have to bear some resemblence to the Doom Conjunction in the GRAY because that is the *historical* event and not the myths. The amount of lattitude allowed for duplicating the event via HeroQuest can be seen in the myths we already have. Frex, the Orlanthi said the Judges fled the field as soon as Orlanth killed Yelm, but there are none in the Doom Conjunction.

>Note also that the Malkioni and Mostali (and Kralori, right?) don't
>recognize the separation of Godtime and Time. What can their
>Heroquesters do?

Pretty much the same as the average heroquester. I don't see how why this should make a difference.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #661