Re: Smiths; time travelling

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:41:54 -0700

Mark Smylie wrote:

> I tend to think of Gustbran as more the God of the Forge than the
> God of Smiths, the deity of harnessed power, not creating and shaping and
> making; IMO, true Smiths would be either shamans or sorcerors

Sorcerers are right out for Orlanthi, and the entry for "Gustbran the Smith" in King of Sartar (p.51) mentions no aspect other than redsmith. (I'm not denying he has other aspects, but I do believe 85%+ of all Orlanthi smiths worship Gustbran.)

Jane Williams tantalized:

> An old White Dwarf, of which I now possess only one page, contained the cult
> of Knerain, Armourer and weaponsmith of the Gods

While this doesn't sound canonical, if you have the page, can you (or someone with the issue) e-mail at least the name of spells or abilities?

Carl Fink worried:

> Greg has implied or stated that Heroquesters can
> change their own pasts, in Time

I believe you can only heroquest back to a battle which, when it was fought, had time-travelling heroquesters. In other words, there are no paradoxes. Arkat heroquested to save himself, so after he was saved, he had to go on the quest to save himself. (Don't ask me how such a loop gets started. It probably has something to do with the nature of Glorantha.)

> Note also that the Malkioni and Mostali (and Kralori, right?) don't
> recognize the separation of Godtime and Time. What can their
> Heroquesters do?

Nor do the Dara Happans (though they've been exposed to the idea). As I said, the Lunars (heirs to the Dara Happans) can heroquest back in time, but still seem unable to reconcile emperor lists from two different empires (let alone the Dara Happans).