[Whit/Blu/R]e[d] Moon?

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 23:26:33 +1200

David Cake:

Already knows my criticisms so I'll keep this short.

>During this time there was a white planet, which moved in odd ways.
>Interpretation - AFAIK no one but the Yuthuppans recorded this stuff.

The Zzabur Lore of the Brithini, the archives of Kuchawn in Kralorela and the Gods Wall all contain some Astronomical Observations which are as old.

> Observed - One of the planets was a white planet. It started to
>move in strange ways across the sky. Eventually, it dipped below the
>horizon and disappeared. It was never seen again in that form, but a
>similar red body rose. The new red planet is worshipped by some peoples,
>including the Dara Happans from the city of Mernita (where the Blue Moon
>plateau is now).

Here we have the major flaw. Sedenya [the 'new red planet'] does not appear in the place of Verithurusa who has disappeared. It has already been observed shining down on Gods Wall II-4 at the same time as Verithurusa shines down on I-9. This is *before* the appearance of Umatum. Ergo, Sedenya and Verithurusa are two seperate planets and thus Annilla is likely to be also.

And Mernita is not known for certain to be underneath the Blue Moon Plateau. IMO it is the modern city of Elzast where the Cap of Mernita was found. If the Blue Moon had crashed down on the City leaving only a tiny fragment in the Sky to become the Blue Streak (as David implies), then we would have both Pent and Peloria underwater IMHO.

What problems does this pose for the Lunars? Virtually none. The object of their worship and source of their magic is the Red Moon. So what they have believe it to have been a different planet in the past? This merely gives them a convenient excuse to tack on cultic rituals onto the Moon to reveal new aspects of Her. Look at the cult of Moon Imperator (taken from Yelm) described in the RQ-CON II Compendium as a good example of this.