Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #659

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 19:05 MET DST

Mike Cule

>I have been working on a version of HeroQuest and have been forced reluctantly
>to the conclusion that altering the past is in fact possible in Glorantha. Not
>easy, but possible.

Actually, from the example below, it is possible to enter the past if one does what happened back then.

>I'm forced to this by the fact that Greg somewhere or other remarks that a
>group of strange looking figures appearing at a critical battle were
>HeroQuesters from the future come back to change reality. (And that they may
>have in fact succeeded: I don't have the reference to hand at this instant, can
>anyone dig it up for me?)

According to one prevalent theory, Argrath and companions went back to the Night of Horrors to slay the Red Emperor. But then the Night of Horrors was an event outside of the Compromise, and did open the universe to other pla<n/c>es. Which is perfectly possible for draconic magics, thus not entirely unlikely to be done by Argrath.

So, it would be easiest to return to a timeless moment in history, like the Sunstop or the Night of Horrors, or to a timeless place (various popular Heroquest sites, I suppose).

>Also I suspect that the Pharoah was just such a time traveller.

I think Greg was said to have stated this.

>To do this you must find one of the places where the Mundane Plane and the God
>Time draw closely together. This is easiest if you find a ritual that is
>still going on in your time and then sidestep back to one of its previous
>iterations. I believe that in Belintar's original future the old Esrolian
>year king ceremony was still being held. He discovered how to go back to one
>of the previous occasions it was held and using his future knowledge altered
>the ceremony to something more to his own liking.

Well, Belintar did not exactly drop into the Esrolite Year King ceremony, but into the Solkathi Sea offshore. If Belintar came/will come from a future near the Holy Country, will he remember/come from the events hinted at at the end of the CHDP?

Or was Belintar one of these future Year Kings being clever to avoid the sacrifice, and fell back into the Ocean?

>However, there is one major difficulty. In HeroQuesting (according to how I'm
>writing it up) you will usually rely enormously on the support of the people
>back home. You form a HeroQuesting Ring which allows the priests and people
>back at home base to channel their Will to the person who is the focus of the
>Ring. As soon as you begin to make a change in the past your future help is
>destroyed and you must continue with what personal Will you have.

Unless, like Belintar, you can draw upon the support of the country itself rather than the people you laft back in the future. (Plus I don't think that Belintar really changed his own past...)