Moons, moons and more moons

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 20:49:37 +0100

Pete Metcalfe:

Me:>> If I HeroQuested and managewd to reincarnate Arkat Swordlord, what would
>>prevent my friend to HQ and come back as Arkat Chaosbane? A previous version
>>of Arkat standing side by side to a later version. *Exactly* the same as the
>>red and Blue Moon.
>
>But Arkat is *not* a celestial body.

 Agh! There is no differnce, in my eyes at least, between a Celestial Body and a physical form. Frex, Yelm is a god -- the Dara Happans believed that he had two arms, two legs and a head; and just so happened to walk across the Sky instead of the Surface World. So, what is the difference between Yelm, and all the "celestial bodies", and somebody who has incarnated various aspects of Arkat? Just because one is in the Sky, and one is on the Surface doesn't make a blind bit of differnce.

>>You're forgetting that the Red Moon appeared via HQing, not by herself.
>
>She was born via HeroQuesting. She became the Red Moon by herself.

 But even then, she was not yet a god. She became the Red Moon by powerful HQing magic, and so, from my own point of view, I was correct.

>> Watch the "Five Doctors" and watch it all come together.
>
>A TV series where the bad-ass alien has difficulty in getting up the
>stairs? No thanks. But then again the aliens there were a damn sight
>better than the other one in which the aliens seem to be actors with
>various odds-and-ends stuck up their noses.

 Don't knock my religion :)

David Cake:

 Pam Carlson explained a very reasonable, and believable Moon story to me, and it's a bit like yours. It gives a good explanation about how the moon changes from one form to another.
 Here's my Black Moon myth, it is very rough piece of work that needs a lot of progress before it becomes totally usuable. The main question in my mind is: What does the Black Moon want?

 For every One there is an Other. For every Light there is a Shadow. For every Song there is a Tear. All of those in the Cosmos fear their Other, and it is natural to do so. However, some know of secrets, and one of those secrets is how to face your Other. Verithurusa learned of this secret and she sought to find her Other so she might face it.  When she called it, summoned it, beckoned it forth her Other did not come forth like she expected. Because of this, she plunged off the edge of the World where the water falls into Darkness, so that she might find it.  Verithurusa was of the Sky, and of the Storm and of the Earth -- for she could travel anywhere, and could be found anywhere, and could befriend anyone, anywhere. When she discovered her Other, she discovered that so could It. Her Other was the Black Moon, and it was of all the Hells, had seen all their secrets, and was more monstrous than anything that anyone has ever, or will ever, experience. Her Other was called Kekdeziel, the Black Moon and ruler of the Grand City of the Underworld. Verithurusa used her secret, and then taught it to her Other so she could learn her Other's thoughts and she could teach it, hers.
 When Verithurusa returned to the Surface World, she was Illuminated, one of the First, and was known as Sedenya, the Red Goddess or the New Sun for her new colour mimicked that of the Emperor. Her inner glow was visible for all to see, but the Emperor cast her down for his prejudice and hate had not yet been conquered by Illumination by facing his Other.  The Black Moon stayed in Hell, for it had the power to slip past Deshkorgos the Monster Man. As the gods died and the world became barren, the gods and the mortals slipped into Hell. The Black Moon was known to howl in laughter as the gods gathered around their dead Emperor, and there they continued their petty squabbles. The Black Moon hid in the Darkness, and when the world returned to life, it remained silent in the Underworld.  When the Red GOddess rose again, the Black Moon came forth to meet it's Other and agreed to join her new Empire. The Red Goddess encased the Black Moon in Jakaleel's Bottomless Basement for both her good, and the Black Moon's good. The Black Moon watches the Red Moon's blind spots, and so slowly revolves once every seven days.
 The Black Moon awaits the time when it's first Other, the pure White Moon, returns that it might live in symbiosis with her.

Nick E.

Nick Effingham         E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com

Britain is Dorastor without broo