Darkness = Fear??

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 17:32:00 -0400

Can anyone tell me why the gods of Darkness have Fear powers? (shades attack with Fearshock, ZZ has Fear spell, KL commands Fear Spirits, etc.)

I can see that for humans and other visually oriented races then darkness is frightening. But the Uz and other darkness creatures find darkness comforting and cozy, not frightening at all. Since the principal worshippers of darkness are Uz, it doesn't make sense that fear should be a cult power for them. Associating them with fear is an anthropocentric viewpoint.

Even for humans there is a positive side to darkness. Darkness evokes memories of the womb, which is contentment not fear. The night is the time for rest and calm after the day's troubles.

Maybe the gods of darkness should get a paired set of powers Fear/Comfort as darkness provides both. Maybe shades should be able to Soothe and well as Fearshock.

Any comments?