More Moon Madness

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:04:26 +1200

Nick Effingham:

said that since Arkat could appear in multiple forms so the Moon Goddess could appear both as the Blue Moon and the Red.

Me>>But Arkat is *not* a celestial body.

> Agh! There is no differnce, in my eyes at least, between a Celestial Body
>and a physical form. Frex, Yelm is a god -- the Dara Happans believed that
>he had two arms, two legs and a head; and just so happened to walk across
>the Sky instead of the Surface World.

I disagree strongly. When Yelm walked the Oslir Valley, the Sun was still shining overhead in the centre of the World lighting up the whole of the Glorantha. The Red Goddess manifests herself in human form at the High Holy Day Ceremonies but the Moon does not disappear at the same time. The Planets are Great Big Things and they manifest only a _portion_ (and a minute one at that) of their energies to effect an incarnation or avatar.

>So, what is the difference between Yelm, and all the "celestial bodies",
>and somebody who has incarnated various aspects of Arkat? Just because
>one is in the Sky, and one is on the Surface doesn't make a blind bit
>of differnce.

By this reasoning there is no difference between a 1 point disruption and Cragspider's Pillar of Fire. It does make a difference and it matters heaps. Celestial Bodies require a lot more energy than merely summoning a different human manifestation down from the Planet.