Minlister - God of Brewers

From: Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 03:32:14 +1000 (EST)

Xavier SPINAT wrote
> I was wondering how alcohol was considered on glorantha...
> Is it good or evil? Is there any god related to alcohol?

The Orlanthi have Minlister, god of Brewers. He is mentioned breifly in KoS.

> Do people think it is good or bad for the health?

Alcohol is good. Obnixious drunks are bad. And Hangovers are hell. ;-)

> What I was thinking is that, since drunk people can't control
> themselves, they may be considered as possessed by a lesser
> spirit.
> Furthermore, if alcohol has an effect on disease spirits
> (and especially infection spirits) then it may be because
> the lesser spirit of alcohol repels the disease spirit.

Where does this come from?

> Has anything already been written or said on this subject?
> Any comments?

The edition of Questlines for RQCon: Down Under in the article on "Spirits of the Far Place" mentions the bastard children of Minlister, called "Drunkards". They are the spirits responsible for hangovers, and can be banished with salt and water.

I see these spirits as reprisal spirits of some form. Priests of the cult (often Tavern Keepers) can banish the spirits, or summon them to attack sinners (troublemakers, debtors, etc). I also give the Priests the illusion ability of Create Beer. Minlister is associated with Eurmal of course, maybe even a bastard son by the barley goddess?

There is a great little pub in Sartar that produces Minlister sacred beer which leaves no hangover if not mixed with other alcohol, but will give you a granddaddy hangover if you do mix your drinks (to punish blasphemers). I think there is wisdom in that for all of us. ;-)

Does anybody out there think Greg (let alone the rest of us) would have anything to do with a fantasy game without a god for alcohol, ESPECIALLY beer? When Greg was Down Under we even got him to try Australia's cheapest beer!

I vote Minlister as the next emperor of the Universe. The next round is on him!