Alcohol in Glorantha

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 20:48:07 -0400 (EDT)

Xavier SPINAT asks:
>I was wondering how alcohol was considered on glorantha...
>Is it good or evil? Is there any god related to alcohol?
>Do people think it is good or bad for the health?

There has been some written on this, mainly the description of the god Minlister in WF (reprinted in Wyrms Footprints at page 77-78) and the troll liquors from Troll Pak. I think most people view it as both good and bad, depending on how it's used.

>What I was thinking is that, since drunk people can't control
>themselves, they may be considered as possessed by a lesser
>spirit.

There was some great stuff in the digest a while back about the Burrrruphti, a class of spirits which caused beer to ferment. Try the searchable archive at Loren's web page.

>Furthermore, if alcohol has an effect on disease spirits
>(and especially infection spirits) then it may be because
>the lesser spirit of alcohol repels the disease spirit.
>But I don't know if alcohol is used to clean wounds
>somewhere on Glorantha.

This may be practiced on the theory that one spirit drives out another.