beer

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:19:51 +0800

>I was wondering how alcohol was considered on glorantha...
>Is it good or evil? Is there any god related to alcohol?
>Do people think it is good or bad for the health?

        The answers to all your questions is 'yes' :-) Depends who you ask. Ask a good Lodrilite, and he will tell you it is part of the earths pure bounty, a great gift, and it makes you relaxed and happy, which must be good. Ask a conservative Yelmite and its a destroyer of reason and right thinking - it makes you act like a Lodril worshipper (but the young men probably drink anyway, out of sight of the elder priests). Ask an Orlanthi and they'll tell you Clearwine is holy, beer is pretty damn good, but gin is a foul Lunar poison. Pelorian red wine includes some of famous quality.

        As far as I know, most Gloranthan cultures believe that alcohol is a good thing that can be bad for you.

        There is a cool myth (stolen from the egyptian myth about Sekhmet) about Babeester Gor killing healers and wading in their blood, and finally being stopped by trickster turning the blood to beer.

        Are their any gloranthan cultures that have an actual prohibition?

        Cheers

                Dave