trolls afraid of the dark

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:33:16 +0800

>If trolls do get fear magic from their dark gods, then that would suggest
>to me
>that even trolls are afraid of the dark!!

        I think trolls are afraid of the dark (but pained by sunlight, which is much worse). They are afraid of the dark because it contains the scariest monsters they know of - other trolls. Young trolls fear trolls they don't trust. Old scary trolls no longer fear, but instead try to be terrifying - they want to be feared. Average trolls scare those below them, and are scared of those above them. I think a lot of troll society is based on fear relationships.

        Trolls find THEIR patch of darkness comforting and soothing. They find the darkness in general to be full of other trolls, and therefore often scary (very scary for an enlo).

        Cheers