trolls, fear, darkness

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 17:36:00 -0400

Andrew Joelson:
>Stop thinking about humans, and start thinking about trolls.
Excuse me, but the whole reason I started this thread was because I am trying to think about this from a troll's point of view not a human's.

>Fear powers don't have to be associated with
>Darkness, just because trolls have them....
No, they don't have to be, but they are. Why else is Fearshock the primary weapon of Shades? Why is it that so many Darkness cults have access to all varieties of fear based magic?

I'm not proposing to take fear magic away from the darkness cults, I am questing for understanding of why they have those powers.

Oliver D. Bernuetz suggested that trollish fear spells might be Happy spells when cast on trolls, but Fear spells when cast on humans (or others afraid of the dark).

This idea amuses me, Oliver, but I don't think I quite believe it. I think magic should do what it is intended to do and not have weird unforseen side-effects. It is supposed to be an imposition of one's will on the universe, so generally it either works or it doesn't. But it really does have a lot of comedy potential. Let me think it over.

Loren Miller suggests that trolls fear darkness because they fear their own mothers.

DARKNESS is the mother of all trolls and therefore the scariest thing in existance. I might be able to buy into this. It should give us some insight into trollish psychology. They have a love/fear relationship with both their mothers and their primal element. Okay, you Freudians and Jungians, what does that imply?