minor matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:28:34 +1200

Klaus Ole Kristiansen:

Me>>A star was damaged by the Outer Atomic Explorers causing it to blink.

>Where is this from? I don't remember ever seeing the OAE mentioned
>outside this mailing list.

Troll Gods, Arkat Writeup. They destroyed all the paths to Stantham Well where Arkat retired to.

Del Padilla:

>In am interested in setting a campaign in Kralorela. If there any material
>on it besides the stuff in the Gloranth Boxed set?

It has been discussed on the Digest. Look around on the Web Archives. Sandy Petersen has some material on Kralori Mysticism (they don't use Rune Magic etc) and Martial Arts but he hasn't released it yet. Some further snippets are present in Elder Secrets and in the Fortunate Succesion but these are small morsels.

For the best insight into how Kralori Government works, read a Judge Dee novel by Robert Van Gulik. The mystical elements (Secret Societies, Dragons etc) can be tacked onto this with little problem.

Nick Brooke:

Me>> Any suitable figure in the remote past is _fair_ _game_ for her
>> purposes. That is why I am highly sceptical of the truth value
>> of your lunar theory of prehistoric Peloria.

>Peter's terminology here strikes a false note for me.

The concept I was trying to get across was that the Lunar Way is a synthetic religion rather than a rediscovery of a suppressed religion. (I would have said it the first time round but some members of the digest are sensitive to using deep words like etic, emic and quipus) ;) The Lunars are creating a new religion using the symbols of the old.

Using your Food Parallel, Cake's writings implied that all the roads between the inns were pre-existing and merely forgotten. This would have been an acceptable lunar belief, but when it's swallowed somewhat uncritically in theories trying to explain the meaning of the Red Moon, it is just as meaningful as attempts to prove that Argrath summoned Wyverns at Corflu.

Anyway, what's a false note in the Lunar Doctrine where the Ministry Of Truth is housed in the Temple of Glamour (runes Illusion and Harmony)?