Dark and Other Musings

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 17:54 MET DST

Gods with fear powers not of Darkness:

Magasta conquered Robber, and Wachaza is her son - clear connection, IMO.

Humakt went to Hell, and brought back the Sword of Death from Subere's treasury. Was that all he brought? (Or did he just bring his birth-right? Humakt is the Tall Dark Stranger among the canonical (i.e. God-Learned) four brothers of Orlanth. Wouldn't Subere be a fitting mother?)

Peter Maranci asked about Orlanthi honour in murdering Lunars from ambush. I think that the PCs acted in dishonour - they should have recited that horrible "stave" "Foul slime, curse of existance, begone!" etc. in challenge. (Nothing wrong in telling this to someone still alive, but for instance held down in a net...)

Heroquesting without respect, aka LBQ without accepting (or preparing) the Compromise:

I don't really think this could be done. Having co-experienced a double LBQ just as a freeform referee, I can tell you that it is already damn impressive to do the quest just following the ordinary pattern. In order to reject the entire Compromise bit, I would expect the quester to be either very familiar with the quest from practise runs (like Kallyr's described in KoS) to be successful, or otherwise totally ignorant and likely to fail. (Of course one could hire five Lightbringers to take oneself along as the Fleshman participant, but I doubt these would find the Ginna Jar participant at all...)

Anyway, if you get familiar with your culture's myths, I suppose you will get the proper respect anyway.