Tribal King vs. Clan chiefs

From: Tschinke <Ingo>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 21:45:22 +0200

>David Dunham asked:
>===================
>
>"Alas, while my Gustbran question generated some discussion, nobody
>seems to have an opinion about Orlanthi tribal kings and clan
>chieftains. How practical is it to be both?"

Mark Crown answered:

>I was unaware that there was a distinction between the two - are they not
>just different words for the same thing?
>
>Mark (playing an Orlanthi tribal king at Convulsion!)

I don't think so, IMO the difference is very great between this two positions. As a clan chief in for example Sartar means you are responsible for the goods of your own clan and nothing more. As a clan chief you can take revenge without thought on a neighbor clan which has stolen some of your clan cattle. Your political position has only a meaning for the people of your clan and not beyond.

As a king of a tribe (i.e. the Malani in nothern Sartar) your position is much more political then the position of a normal clan chief. The Malani tribe is a tribe of 11 clans which has found together because of similar interests in the beginning. By writing 'Heroes of Wisdom' I got to know how difficult it is to be a king of a tribe. The king must try to get the interest of all his clans into a balance, otherwise he will lost some clans to other tribes. IMO mostly traditions hold one tribe together as well as the king has to show his responsibilities more to his tribe then his clan in which he was borne.

Ingo

Ingo Tschinke              tschinke_at_nordwest.de
RuneQuest-Gesellschaft     Schevemoorer Landstr. 33
                           28325 Bremen
                           Germany