Moonfall

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 21:06:32 +0100

Pete Metcalfe:

>And just to stop us arguing in circles: if the Red Goddess was the
>Blue Moon then why didn't she take on the characteristics of the
>Blue Moon when she was resurrected? Why hasn't she absorbed Blue
>Moon when she ascended into heaven?

 I'm glad you gave me a chance to prove my theory.  I can offer two explanations -- pick the one you like.

 The Primal Moon underwent the following transformations:

 White (Verithurusa)-- Red (Sedenya/RG) -- Blue (Annila)

 Now, from Book of Drastic Resolutions (p.4) we see that Sedenya is equated with Tyram, and from Sandy's Black Moon myth -- and our own observations -- I'm going to say that Sedenya was once confused with the Black Moon.  You can fit the Black Moon either between White and Red, saying that whilst in the Underworld the Primal Moon was Black with the Darkness and evil she experienced and turned Red when she rose again. Or, you can fit it between Red and Blue, saying that in the fight between Sedenya and Shargash she turned Black with anger/hate/power lust.  Got that? The Monster Empire, IMO, includes the rise of the Black Moon. Now, if the red GOddess is herself progressing from moon to moon, then in the first instance the Red Goddess is progressing backwards! She has already *been* the blue moon, and will go onto to become the Black Moon (the Monster Empire) and then the White (the White orbiter). The reason why we didn't realize the blue moon was there was, quite simply, that she was invisible and unknown to us -- which fits in with the Blue Moon. Therefore, she didn't absorb the corpse because she had already *been* the blue moon and had nothing to gain, without mentioning the effects it would have upon Glorantha's tides -- probabley causing a major disaster or ecological catastrophe.
 The second instance, that she went from Red to Black in the Shargash brawl, is that she is progressing from White all the way along to Blue. But I'm not quite sure about this, I can't explain where the White Moon has got to. In this instance, however, she is *going* to absorb the Blue Moon, at a later date.  yes, both these ideas conflict with my own myth that the Black Moon is a seperate entity.

 Also, she may not even have had the power to absorb the Blue Moon, you yourself made the difference between a simple one point spell and a celestial proportion spell.

Nick E.

Nick Effingham         E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com

Britain is Dorastor without broo