Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #674

From: Cheiron <cheiron_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:03:31 -0700

David Cake, in his debate about killing Orlanthi who convert to the Lunar way, makes the following claim:

>The Seven Mothers are not necessarily chaotic. I think your average
>Orlanthi accepts this,

Uhhh, really? Is that what they think up there in the Lunar Empire? Boy, do they see the world through Rose colored glasses up in Glamour or what. IMG the Lunars can blather all day about how they're no personally chaotic, that most of their gods aren't chaotic, etc., and I don't think it'd make a damn bit of difference to most Orlanthi. What counts is that they're wearing the symbols/uniforms that identify them as the same people whose giant Chaotic bloody-red bat-demon ate Uncle Hrothmir, who's principle Goddess has a great big Chaos Rune on the gate of her Temple in Tarsh (it's true, cousin Ottokar told me), and who are trying to break the Great Compromise by KILLING ORLANTH! That makes them chaos things.

>And I certainly don't think that if cousin Alfred is a weak Orlanthi
>and likes some free Teelo Norri soup now and again, and is willing to
>sit through a worship service to do it, that gives you free licence to
>kill him without honour.

No. But it gives you free licence to kill him WITH honor. "Foul slime, curse of existance..."

I admit, I don't think most Orlanthi would bother with such a poor slob, but I know a Storm Bull or two...

Also, there was a PC in my game who wanted to change cults from Gorgorma to Orlanth. The local Orlanth priest was willing, but the Gorgorma witch wanted the head of the local Teelo Norri priestess as payment (part of an old personal grudge). The PC assassinated the TN priestess without a thought, luring her into an alley and butchering her along with her bodyguard. Was that moral? Not in my opinion. Was it fair? Hell no. Did the PC get welcomed into Orlanth with open arms? Absolutely.

David later points out that he thinks most Orlanthi would think of actions like these in the same way we'd think of a terrorist act that backed up our own political agenda. Maybe he's right. But I think the Lunar Empire is going to be in for a big surprise when they realize just how many Orlanthi ARE extremists, and just how far they're prepared to go in defense of their religion/culture/way of life.

Sartar Will Be Free!

Robert