Tribal and clan kings

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 20:35:59 -0400 (EDT)

Nick Brooke and John "His Truth Is Marching On" Brown:
>>I think people who *become* Kings do so from an established position within
>>their clan and tribe; they aren't likely to be rank outsiders.
>Nick, I think you are obviously correct when you say tribal kings will be
>clan chieftains and family heads. Obviously it is going to be incredibly hard
>for a rank outsider to ascend to tribal kingship without proving himself as a
>clan chieftain.

I have to butt in to express an obvious exception: when the tribal ring (or whoever elects kings) is hopelessly deadlocked, an outsider is a very attractive candidate. "Anybody but a Greydog." "Anybody but a Poss." "I know, let's pick this war hero over here." Ross Perot, anyone?