Moon Madness

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 19:53:11 +1200

David Cake:

>The main sticking point is that I believe that the Veritherusa->Sedenya
>(red) -> Lesilla (blue) -> Gerra (human) is re-discovery, of a moon
>religion that was an important Pelorian religion once (until Lukarius
>wiped it out), and the heavenly events they reported were true.

Apart from nitpicking that Lesilla is a human not a planet, I think it would be better in confounding these White Moon Heretics if I spell out what it is they are missing.

We have here a diety that has been smashed to pieces. She has been remade by the Seven Mothers and seeks to find out her place in the World. As a result of her experiences, she becomes dissatisfied with her role and seeks the ultimate truth. She finds it and becomes one with the Transcendant World.

That is the *core* message of the Red Goddess. She is not going to get any better because She already is Perfect. She has *been* there and so you can too. Saying that she was the Blue Moon or will become the White Moon or should be whatever color upon the CIE color space charts is *missing* the point. Her Transcendant Truths are valid regardless of the Perfection of the Sky. There is no need for her to become the White Moon and she doesn't according to KoS.

Me>>This would have been an acceptable lunar belief, but when it's
>>swallowed somewhat uncritically in theories trying to explain the
>>meaning of the Red Moon,

>I thought we were still argueing over what the historical (sky)
>events were, not their meaning.

But you are relying on *Lunar* sources as what to the Sky must have been like if their faith is materialistically true. For all we know, the Lunar belief could bear as much relation to reality as Bishop Usher's beliefs of the History of the Earth.

You're also accepting that the Lunar belief that every manifestation of their goddess only happened in a linear progression ie Verithurusa->Sedenya->Lesilla->Gerra etc.

But this is not true. Look at Gerra who is according to your Moon Goddess theory the human phase. Gerra is on the Wall and also is married to Lukarius *before* Sedenya falls and the City of Mernita gets vaped by Lukarius. Ergo Gerra is a seperate being. A similar disproof can be made for Orogeria and I've already disproved Verithurusa. But then these are all based on 'extremely literal interpretations' and can be safety ignored by the serious scholar.

>The Lunar moon story is definately true for the Red Moon - because
>that is the heroquest path the Red Goddess was thinking of when she
>made the moon.

What Lunar Moon Story? Your one about the Red Moon becoming Blue etc? How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Why? What makes you think that the Gods Wall was an astronomical
>document?

Because Joerg, the planets appearing above the heads of the 'gods' are signs that the planets exist at the time the Wall was made.

>TO me it looks like a polite work of fiction, really. It may well
>depict a scene from a glorious past (myth) which a later divine
>ruler ordered done.

And who was this later divine ruler who created this polite work of fiction?

Me>>the wall is a descriptive representation of the Cosmos.

>As it "should" be...

Check out the Perfect Sky for a perfect illustration of how the Dara Happans reconciled the description of the World as it really is why maintaining at the same time it is 'as it should be'. I see no reason why Plentonius ancestors could have easily found a similar

>Really, we have no definite mythistorical connection of the Gods Wall's
>origin,

What? Whatever happened to:

'Then all the One Hundred Gods and Goddesses came to Emperor Yelm to make obsediance [...] Emperor Yelm ordered his brother to mark the occasion with a monument and so Lodril [...] made the Gods Wall'

                                        GRAY p7 Ivory Pages

Sounds pretty mythistorical to me.

>The Lodril Hero with the Adamant Chisel still would be required, plus the
>Prometheus-like figure to nick a slab of Truestone from the Spike (aka
>Yuthubars?).

Note that Lodril was said to be the Shaper. There exists in the Entekosiad, tales of how such people were capable of using shaping magic to sing pots from the walls etc, I see little problem in assuming that the Walls were worked by such magic. The cylindrical seal that Plentonius speaks of is an anachronism IMO.

>This reminds me how much we lack a compendium of (not primarily
>Lunar) cults in the Lunar Empire.

David Cake has a partial list at his web page.

Nick Effingham:

> Now, from Book of Drastic Resolutions (p.4) we see that Sedenya is
>equated with Tyram,

It's also equated with Burburstus who is the Draconis Stella. Nice try but if you are to rely on insane delusions in the Book of Drastic Resolutions to prove that the Red Moon was the Blue Moon etc, the Starseers have got a padded tower and special clothing (the shirt buckles backwards) where you catch watch the Heavens without a worry in the world.